Search This Blog

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Exploring Ultimaker Nylon in my posable skeleton.

I made some modifications for the PLA skeleton I did for Hortensia.
Hortensia can stand and pose, but some joints were too loose.


I added some extrusions from the spheres so they will lock to the two parts of the long bones.   This is an example:


Working with nylon

Now I printed the same modified skeleton with nylon.
I used brim, 40% dense supports and the same setting Cura decided for normal printing.


Primary results

Pros

  • It prints fine.
  • The rotation of the joints is smoother than with PLA.
  • Supports and brim are very easy to remove, sometimes I  could remove it with no tools while it was still hot.  

Cons

  • It bends the same as PLA, and looses friction overtime.  (I have some design ideas to improve this).
  • It got clogged twice between the Bowden tube and the extruder.
  • It is more expensive than PLA.
  • It is not so good for very little objects, like the hand joints. Spheres are 4mm diameter, cylindrical parts, 3mm diameter.  This is a variation from Hortensias´ skeleton.  Like in the other joints.  I printed all with 40% dense supports.  It worked well for bigger objects, it wasn't so good for these:

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can leave your comment here.